Friday, July 31, 2009

My Library Day : July 31, 2009

This was really an interesting project! I have been enjoying reading a day in the life of librarians. Mine is routine mostly, but with challenges every single day.

Here was my day, Friday, July 31, 2009. I found it quite difficult to record exact time frame for things I did during the 8-hour for work plus 1 hour for lunch.
  • Woke up at 5:30 am, spent 20 minutes preparing breakfast and lunch for my son and husband, and headed for gym. It is my daily routine to workout in gym for one hour before going to work. During the one-hour workout I watched TV feeding my brain with national and local headlines or news.
  • Work started at 8 am when staffed the Reference Desk for one hour. It was quiet this morning. I quickly checked Ask a Librarian email account and my work email to see if there were things that needed immediate responses.
  • Posted a library tip to the library blog for our scientific editor, who once in a while sent out Library Tips to the campus via email. Whenever he posts a tip, I would repeat the tip in the library's blog.
  • Logged in the library's Twitter account to view followers' tweets and posted tweets to the library's Twitter account.
  • Answered two email questions from Ask a Librarian email account. One requested research help and the other was about off-campus log-in problem.
  • At 9 am, telephone meeting with LISTEN project coordinator and my supervisor about BOLT (Brief Online Learning Tutorials) we developed for LISTEN modules. 10% of my time devotes to this grant project since July 2007.
  • Right after the BOLT meeting, two nursing students came for help with their group project. I spent 40 minutes with them searching PubMed and showing them how to limit searches and retrieved full text articles.
  • During my one-hour lunch break (11-12 pm), I stepped out the library and took a nice 20-minute walk. After the heavy rain and tornado sweeping through some areas of the city last nigh, it turned out to be a beautiful day.
  • My second shift at the Reference Desk was from 12 - 1pm. I was able to use this hour preparing budget report for the SC/MLA '09 Local Arrangement Committee meeting as I am the conference treasurer. The meeting was held from 2-3:30 pm.
  • I spent 30 minutes going through my RSS feeds briefly and bookmarked interesting information to my delicious page, and saved some favorite articles to my EverNote site.
  • Spent one hour on my social web profile to maintain a professional appearance on the social Web. Two people subscribed to my FriendFeed, three people requested to follow me on Twitter, one person added me as a contact in, one Facebook friend made two comments on my wall.
  • At 5 pm, I finished my 3rd shift at the Desk and went home.
What I enjoy most is everyday is not the same.


Alisha764 said...

Wow. It is really interesting to see the events of another medical librarian throughout the day. I find it particularly interesting that you are so involved with web2.0 at work! All of my social media activities are conducted from home, which is why I am not able to respond to post as quickly or post interesting items as quickly. Plus I keep falling behind!

Keep up the great post!
Alisha Miles
Twitter: Alisha764

Lin said...

Thanks for the comment. Web 2.0 stuff opens my eyes while blogging sharpens my mind. I need both, but I don't have time to blog at work. Remember I had difficulty subscribing to your blog? Now it works well with WP.